Sunday 17 June 2012

Sydney Fashion & Beauty 101 meets Gabe Robinson, Head Stylist on The Voice AU

 
Ahead of tonight's final of the biggest show on TV, The Voice, we talk to the genius Head Stylist, Gabe Robinson, on his inspirations, the contestants style, Joel's leopard print and Seal's shellac nails....


 1.       Who’s been your favourite contestant to style?

I dont have one particular favourite!  They all have their own individual look that I love to create with them.

Sarah De Bono has such quirky hair, so I love going crazy with really out there brands like Romance was Born, Alice McCall and Jaimie Lee, and than there's Big Darren Percival who I love to dapper up in tuxedo style blazers and velvet smoking jackets! Then you have little Rachael Leachar who look so ethereal and elegant so I love putting lace, tule and sparkle on her. Finally we have Karise, who is such an old soul and loves the Aretha Franklin vibe, so I put her in lace, paisley and velvet and boho it up with some jewels!

2.       Out of the judges, who do you think has the best style?

Man i love Seals random nails! I paint a few random nails on the odd occasion, but Seal goes all out with the gold shellac! I also dig Joel's hair and his street vibe. One week I got to put him in leopard on leopard on leopard which was awesome! I had a silk print bomber over a blue leopard tee, and I made a bandana out of another leopard print too for his back pocket! It was so random and rad! 



3.       How long does it take you to plan each outfit each week? 

We sit through a few creative meetings to toss over concepts, staging, screens and lighting, and then I develop the looks based off that. So usually 2-3 days of prepping and creative concept developments.

4.       How involved are the contestants in their styling?  

They are their own person and they have been dressing themselves their whole life, so of course I want to stick to who they are as a person, but it is my job to evolve their own perception and stylistic concept and pull out the elements that are more star quality, and take that to the next level.

5.       Where the clothes from – is there a lot of designer, more high street or an equal mix? 

I source clothing from far and wide. I try to use a massive array of designers both large and small, national and international. I mix fashion forward brands like Josh Goot, and Ellery with some smaller brands like Ixiah, Macraw, Jaimie Lee, Emma Mulholland and even some tiny brands from the markets! I also use a few international designers like Ted Baker and Celine.

Some smaller brands have tracked me down via my twitter (@GA8E) and sent me look books and I've used some of their stuff on the show too. 

6.       Can you give us any sneak previews of the outfits for the final? 

It's all top secret at this stage, but lets just say its going to be colourful, fashionable and....glamorous!

7.       Who are your favourite designers? 

I'm not really a brand snob and dont usually like to drool over international brands, but Givenchy has been killing it with menswear lately....BUT back to reality; For the work I do, brands like Josh Goot, Jaimie Lee, Emma Mulholland, Alice McCall, Romance was Born, Ode to No One, Ixiah, Natasha, Aje, Macgraw, Alex Perry and so on are good representations of the Australian fashion market and I like to showcase all the talent we have here!

8.       Other than The Voice, what’s your favourite TV show? 

I am a sucker for series. I don't get to watch much TV, so I fox IQ series like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, How to Make It in America, Tosh.0 and I never miss any UFC!

9. Who is your ultimate style icon 

I'm not going to say someone like Karl Lagerfeld or something predictable like that. I draw style inspiration from random people, Kanye West is all time, but just from everyone around me. I work on big productions with massive teams of people for long hours and you get to spend a lot of time with people you wouldn't meet otherwise, and they are all doing there own thing. One dude is in a cool military anorak, another with some awesome boots, Seal and his nails, and Joel with his leopard prints etc.


10. What are your trend predictions for SS 2021- 2013 
I try not to follow trend sites or read too much into magazines, I like to just trust my instinct. Lately I keep dressing all one colour, and inserting a random print like leopard or polkadot but in unusual colour variations. For example, all blue; blue chino's, blue socks, blue shirt and a blue tall tail tee in a blue leopard print, with a blue suit blazer that I sew something random onto like blue leather elbow patches or a blue leather pocket trim. Throw a Brixton fedora on with a sweet pair of Sebago docksides and thats basically what i do! 
Trends come and go, just like the seasons.

I believe a person should always dress to their OWN trend/style and not just chameleon from one fad or trend to another. I think a person should have their vibe going on and just insert colours or prints form those trends into it, still remaining who they are as a person.
I see people wearing something that is totally NOT who they are just because it's 'on trend', but thats the mistake. Just because it's on 'trend' for the masses doesn't mean it's trendy for you. Not everything suits everyone. There's certain trends/styles that I think are awesome, but it just doesnt work on me, so i don't go there, but it doesn't mean i don't appreciate or respect that trend. 

A big Sydney Fashion & Beauty 101 thank you to the very lovely Gabe for giving us this interview. Follow him on Twitter at: @GA8E
The final of The Voice is on Channel Nine tonight and tomorrow at 7:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment